TASK (Agenda 2030 - GOAL 5)
Quotes from Jane Eyre:
“I am no bird, and no net ensnares me; I am a free
human being, with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.”
"I am not an angel,' I asserted; 'and I will
not be one till I die: I will be myself. Mr. Rochester, you must neither expect
nor exact anything celestial of me - for you will not get it, any more than I
shall get it of you: which I do not at all anticipate.”
“I can live alone if self-respect and
circumstances require me so to do. I need not sell my soul to buy bliss. I have
an inward treasure born with me, which can keep me alive if all extraneous
delights should be withheld, or offered only at a price I cannot afford to give.”
"I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the
more unsustained, the more I will respect myself. I will keep the law given by
God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was
sane, and not mad - as I am now."
Read the above quotations and try to define Jane's personality:
1. What kind of woman is she?
Then watch this clip from the BBC:
2. Does your definition fit with the woman in the video? why/why not?
3. What were women considered in the Victorian Era? give a definition.
4. How does C. Bronte represent the Victorian Woman? Why?
5. Can you think and write other examples later of feminism? What did they
fight for? did they succeed?